Here’s a run-down of some of the most useful websites and online resources for bird watching and birders in Ireland.
- Birdwatch Ireland — Ireland’s largest conservation charity. While the website is a bit dated, it is a treasure trove of Irish birding and bird conservation information if you dig a bit. Birdwatch Ireland has a network of local “branches” around the country that arrange open bird watching outings — check the site for details.
- Irish Birding — Irish Birding is an independent site that documents bird sightings — and is a great way to keep an eye on what’s being seen where — you can query the database by location, keyword, date… and all sorts of other criteria. Definitely one to bookmark.
- Ireland’s Wildlife — naturally…. While we’re not birding focussed there is a lot of bird related content on the site, with more being added all the time.
- Bird Guides — Bird Guides is a UK based source of rare bird news and sightings — basic info is free and they offer a variety of tiered subscription services, software and smartphone apps for UK and Irish birders.
- Ireland’s Wildlife Binocular Reviews: hands-on reviews of birding and wildlife binoculars.
- Ireland’s Wildlife Spotting Scope Reviews: hands-on reviews of spotting scopes for birding and wildlife watching
- Ireland’s Wildlife — clothing reviews: hands on reviews of clothing for birding and wildlife watching
- Ireland’s Wildlife — accessory reviews: hands on reviews of other gear for birding and wildlife watching
Garden Birding Resources
- CJ Wildlife (birdfood.ie): Our official garden wildlife supplies partner, and a fantastic source of bird feed and
- The Ultimate Guide to Nest Boxes: great overview of nest boxes, how to build them and where to put them in the DIY section of the BillyOh blog.
Birding on Twitter
- @CorkBirdNews — rare bird news from Co. Cork via Twitter
- @ECoastBirdNews — rare bird news from the east coast via Twitter
- @WexfordBirdNews — rare bird news from Co. Wexford via Twitter
- @KerryBirdNews — rare bird news from Co. Kerry via Twitter
- @GalwayBirdNews — rare bird news from Co. Galway via Twitter
- @WatBirds — rare bird news from Co. Waterford via Twitter
Recommended Birding Books
- The Collin’s Bird Guide — still far and away the best field guide to the birds of Europe
- Finding Birds in Ireland by Eric Dempsey — the definitive guide to the best birding sites in Ireland… where to find them, what to look for, and when to visit (read a full review here).
- Birds of Ireland, A Field Guide — a brand new field guide to the birds of Ireland, taking a new approach with stunning photographic plates showing multiple postures, plumage and behaviour for each species. This is a great supplement to the Collin’s Guide to give you a different view of birds and offer a more uniquely Irish context.
Are we missing a resource you’d like to recommend? Let us know about it in the comments below and we’ll check them out and add relevant ones to the list.