National Dawn Chorus day is Birdwatch Ireland’s most popular wildlife event of the year, and sees people getting out of bed a bit earlier than usual to experience one of the true wonders of our natural world. Events this year start from 4am… so make sure you set that alarm clock.
For full details, and info about other events taking place soon, check out the National Dawn Chorus Day post on the Birdwatch Ireland site, but for quick reference here’s a run-down of the Dawn Chorus events happening around the country:
(1) Radisson Blu Farnham Estate Hotel (outside Cavan town). Meet at front door of hotel, 4:30am.
(2) Castle Lake Woods, Bailieborough. Meet at the lakeshore car park, Lear entrance, at 4:40am.
Mullaghmore area, Burren National Park. Meet at the Grotto, Corofin, 5:00am.
Lough Hyne. Meet at car park by lake at 4:30am.
(1) Newbridge House, Donabate. Meet in the main car park at 5:15am. (Organised by Fingal Branch.)
(2) Ardgillan Demesne, Balbriggan. Meet in the main car park at 5:15am. (Organised by Fingal Branch.)
(3) Cabinteely Park. Meet in main car park at 4:00am. (Organised by South Dublin Branch.)
(4) Botanic Gardens. Meet at front gate at 5:00am. (Organised by Tolka Branch.)
NUIG Sports Grounds. Meet in the car park of NUIG Sports Grounds in Dangan at 4:30am.
Meet in south car park, Ballyseedy Wood, 4:45am.
Meet in NUI Maynooth, South Campus, at 5:00am.
Jenkinstown Wood. Meet in the car park at 4:30am.
Walk at Lough Meelagh. Meet at Keadue at 5:00am.
Meet in car park in front of University Concert Hall, Limerick, at 5:00am.
Meet in hotel car park, Ballymascanlon Hotel (just north of Dundalk) at 5:00am.
Brackloon Woods. Meet at Octagon, Westport, at 4:40am or at Brackloon Woods at 5:00am.
Dartrey Estate. Meet at 4:30am beside the Dawson Monument on the Cootehill/Rockcorry Road.
Moate Park, outside Roscommon. Meet at Moate Park entrance at 6:00am.
Meet at Hazelwood Forest car park at 5:30am.
(1) Meet at front entrance of Knockanacree Woods, Cloughjordan, at 4:15am.
(2) Meet at Cabragh Wetlands at 4:30am.
Stradbally village. Meet on village green at 4:30am.
Meet at Belvedere House, near Mullingar, at 5:00am.
(1) East Coast Nature Reserve, Newcastle. Meet at the reserve entrance (double gates), Sea Road, Newcastle, at 5:00am.
(2) Glendalough. Meet Information Office, Upper Lake, Glendalough, at 5:00am.